Wednesday, October 3, 2012

October 3rd - 9:52pm

Another day inside painting. From about 8:30-5:30 was spent with a paintbrush in hand. Most everything was just white (including a gate that took almost four hours!) but there were a few colors thrown in. At 5:30 Martin offered Meg and I a ride to the feed and seed store down the road. Both of us were wanting to buy a pair or two of alpargatas (also known as Toms in the US) and thats where you can get them. Took a bit to figure out how to buy them but we got it done. Instead of going into a store like in the US you go up to this little window and tell them what you want. Not all that difficult if a language is commonly spoken. Not the easiest thing to do without one. Usually I can get by pointing and making hand signals. In a situation like that, you just have to flat out know and understand words. Managed (without too much confusion) to buy myself a pair in black. And at a bargin compared to US prices. $4.50 a pair! So far, I love them. Probably going to end up buying a few more for friends and a couple of different colors for myself. I think they have blue, red, white and maybe another color or two. The start of shopping in Argentina! Since Im going to be here through the spring and summer (two seasons I did not pack for), Im going to have to start shopping a bit for lighter clothes. Should br quite an exprience! Stuff like that is incredibly intimidating in a lot of ways. I never realized how much I use English to get around until suddenly I couldnt. Going into a store people will ask if you need help or want to try something or any number of questions. Ignoring them is rude but half the time I dont even understand the question! Gives me a new level of understanding for foreigners in the US. So often they are thought of as rude because they wont talk to people. Being in their shoes, however, I totally get it. I barely understand the spanish and more often than not I still struggle when someone starts speaking english due to the accent. Definitely a good lesson but would be nice to be past it already! Eventually going to have to get over it and just go though. Only one way to learn and get comfortable with Spanish and thats to go and do it. Nothing like near total immersion to teach you a language!

No comments:

Post a Comment